19 October 2009

My Denier Credentials Exposed

I promised Brad DeLong that I'd feature his response to my request for some support of his approvingly reproducing comments that I an "dishonest and stupid" and a "clever denier." DeLong has now responded and this post makes good on that promise. Before I do so let me apologize to Brad for suggesting that he was not letting my comments through on his blog. Apparently his blog had some technical problems that were not allowing comments to be seen and I misinterpreted that technical glitch as willful action. Apologies (I gotta remember Ben Hale's principle of charity!). Maybe DeLong will return the favor by retracting his own comments made in also jumping to a wrong conclusion. I am happy to give him that opportunity.

OK, here, now that I can see DeLong's responses over at his blog I can report them here. So ... drum roll ... according to Brad DeLong here are my denier credentials.

1. I botched a Google search. Guilty as charged. I will also admit to making other mistakes occasionally as well.

2. Al Gore removed a slide in his slide show because I accurately critiqued its misuse. Joe Romm did not like that this happened and threw a fit.

That is it. Disappointed? I sure am. Perhaps a better line of attack would be to categorize me as a denier because I deny being a denier. Do I expect these guys to debate me on substance? No. Are they invited to do so? Yes, sure -- here is a link to my publications.

Readers can look at who is calling who names and who is willing to engage in substantive debates over actual peer-reviewed research and come to their own conclusions about things, and I am happy for them to do so. If Brad DeLong or Joe Romm or any of the folks who routinely criticize me want to publicly debate climate policy with me, they have a standing invitation. Meantime, I am going to get back to regularly scheduled programming.